Activesync alternative

Activesync alternative

This question is answered

I have an installation that has 4 workabouts with Win CE5 (and .NET VB application) and about 10 different users who can pick up any of the 4 units and start collecting data. The problem I have is transferring the data collected onto a server that they all have access to via their own user profile. Because the units can only hold a couple of partnerships we have to use one guys logon to transfer the files via activesync, otherwise the partnerships get screwed up and the users have to create a new partnership almost everytime they connect under their own profile. We are not allowed to use wireless in the area so I plumped for a straight forward file sync option not realising we had all these different user profiles. Is there another synching type application that doesn't use profiles?

Verified Answer
All Replies
  • Good morning DAVEYBEE,

Can you please provide additional information about the synchronization tasks you wish to achieve / that need to take place?

Kind regards,
    Jacques

• All I need to do is transfer some files between the WAP and the PC and vice versa. The file types are simple text and XML/XSD. I don't need any other synchronisation.

Thanks

Dave

• Sorry Jacques, I said 'the PC' but it could be one of three PC's connected to the clients network.

Many thanks

Dave

• Hi,

I am not pretty sure to understand your problem, but would making all unit connect as guest solve it?

There is a Windows Registry key that allows you to do that.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa911568.aspx

Cheers.

• To add to Felipe's above post, let me bring to your attention that application(s) can automatically be launched upon ActiveSync connection.

Handling Connection Notification

PC side
    Registry-based Notification

E.g.
    Upon connection notification, the PC could launch an application to copy files from/to the handheld, via the Microsoft Remote API [1].

Handheld side
    CeRunAppAtEvent (NOTIFICATION_EVENT_RS232_DETECTED)
    CeSetUserNotificationEx (NOTIFICATION_EVENT_RS232_DETECTED)

[1] MSDN references

--

RAPI wrappers

Last but not least, many samples, which may inspire you, can be found on the net.

E.g.

• I have written an automatic FTP syncing application.  This application transfer files between the terminal and a server through FTP.  It has the abilty to only perfrom this action when in a cradle, such as when only connected through ActiveSync.

If you would like me to email you the source or cab feel free to email me.  Jonathon.ketron@psionteklogix.com

• Felipe,

Thank you for your reply, this option may be part of what I need and I will certainly try this out.

• Jacques,

Thank you for the options, I will be trying some of these solutions.